Friday, November 4, 2011

Jamie Lee Curtis ~ A True Silver Fox!

Jamie Lee Curtis grew up with famously divorced parents, legendary actors Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, under the scrutiny of the Hollywood spotlight. But she’s managed to keep her feet firmly on the ground, balancing her own acting career with a successful twenty eight year marriage to fellow actor, Christopher Guest. The couple have two adopted children, Annie and Thomas.

She has also written several best selling children’s books, and takes time to support various philanthropic groups, including Women in Recovery, Inc., and the Children Affected by AIDS Foundation, serving as the annual host for the organization’s “Dream Halloween” event in Los Angeles, launched every year in October.

I admire Jamie Lee Curtis for her accomplishments, but I adore her for her style! Read her assessment of her personal style, from an interview in AARP Magazine

“My style is a distillation. I’ve etched out who I am through myriad haircut attempts, outfit attempts, beauty attempts, diet attempts. It’s been an evolution. I’ve let my hair go gray. I wear only black and white. Every year I buy three or four black dresses that I just keep in rotation. I own one pair of blue jeans. I’ve given away all my jewelry, because I don’t wear it.”

And I love this excerpt from an interview in Lifescript, in which she interviews the interviewer about going gray, and then explains why she ditched the dye…

JLC: “What does it say that you walk into a room and not one person’s hair is her natural color. You go, What?”

INTERVIEWER: Why do you feel so strongly about keeping hair natural?

JLC: I can look at you and say you’re gorgeous. And you with that haircut with gray would be beautiful.

INTERVIEWER: Maybe after I retire.

JLC: I’m not sure what the message is then – that you have to look different than you really are to make it? But I understand there are women [working] in a corporate environment… I’m not going to say to those women, “Hey, tell your boss to stuff it.” I know we’re in tough economic times.

INTERVIEWER: You’re in an industry that celebrates youth. When did you feel strong enough to buck the system?

JLC: The epiphany came when I was sitting in a hair salon thinking, What the eff am I doing putting a chemical on my head that burns? My short hair keeps growing in, and I was having to cut it and touch it up all the time.

INTERVIEWER: You didn’t enjoy the pampering?

JLC: I found beauty salons humiliating. I’d be sitting there in a smock that didn’t look good on me. I’d have crap in my hair with tin foil, which looks ridiculous. It didn’t ever feel right.

Right on! Jamie Lee Curtis is a lady who really knows herself. She listens to her inner voice and acts accordingly. She has the confidence to be “real” in a business that’s grounded in fantasy, and she’s a lovely role model for aging gracefully. And even though she's a celebrity, you just get the feeling that she's one of us. A true Silver Fox!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment